Snack Ideas for Before and After Workouts
Pre and Post workout nutrition is very important. It ensures that we have enough energy to get through grueling workout and enough of the right stuff to help our body repair afterwards. Here are some ideas for some great pre and post workout snacks that offer a nice balance of protein, carbs and fat.
Pre Workout Snack Ideas
When planning snacks for pre-workout think about eating 45 minutes or so before you workout. Keep this snack small and find combinations of foods that work best for you and don’t make your stomach upset in the middle of your workout.
- Greek Yogurt Parfait – use whole fat greek yogurt, berries and low sugar granola for a nice protein, carb and fat packed snack.
- Protein Shake – my favorite is Stronger Faster Healthier chocolate protein powder, Califia Farms almond coconut milk and a scoop of PB2 Powdered peanut butter.
- Proats – (or protein oatmeal) Add your favorite protein powder to your oatmeal – add slivered almond, berries or banana to top it off. I LOVE Stronger Faster Healthier Churro flavored protein here.
- Blueberry Banana Protein Smoothie – Blend blueberries, bananas, greek yogurt, almond milk and ice. Add a scoop of protein or some nut butter for some extra protein and fat. Pro-tip – freeze the fruit prior to blending for a nice creamy texture.
- Apple Peanut Butter Bites – Cut apples into wedges, add a spoonful of peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter) on top, sprinkle with chia seeds and a few dried rains or cranberries
- Egg and avocado toast – Eat an egg or 2 on top of your favorite sprouted grain bread – add some avocado for necessary fat
- Peanut Butter and Banana Chia seed toast – Toast up your favorite bread, or your favorite rice cake and add a spoonful of nut butter, sliced banana and chia seeds – drizzle with honey and sprinkle with cinnamon for some extra sweetness
- Grilled Chicken and Sweet Potatoes – leftovers like this are great for pre-workout meals. Just remember to keep it small – 2-3 ounces of meat and 1/2 a sweet potato
- Banana Egg Pancakes – Take 1 banana and 2 eggs, mix together and throw in a pan. Out comes a delicious pancake. Spread peanut butter on top, roll up and eat!
- Turkey and Cheese Rollups – take high quality deli meat (like Applegate Farms) and cheese and roll up with some mustard for a quick, easy snack
Post Workout Snacks
Refueling your body after a hard workout is important for recovery. The food you eat after a workout can help your muscle build and repair. Here we want to focus on snacks that are higher in carbs and protein and lower in fat. Ideal time frame would be 30-60 minutes after your workout.
- Protein Pancakes – Use a high quality pancake mix (like Kodiak Cakes Superfood) and add protein powder to the mix. Eat with nut butter and berries
- Sweet Potato Protein Shake – Blend up a sweet potato with almond milk and your favorite protein powder for a nice recovery shake
- Banana Almond Butter Bites – mix almond butter and full fat greek yogurt together – dip banana into the mixture
- Veggie Pasta with meat sauce – for a heartier snack make up some veggie pasta (Trader Joes has a great selection) with a meat sauce made from your favorite sauce and ground turkey or lean ground beef
- Avocado Tuna salad – Take canned tuna and mix with avocado – add any other veggies you like. Eat out of a bowl or on your favorite healthy bread.
- Egg Scramble – scramble some eggs and egg whites with turkey bacon and lots of vegetables.
- Apple and Cheese – Eat a nice crisp apple alongside some high quality cheddar cheese (about 1-2 ounces)
- Cottage Cheese and strawberries – mix cottage cheese with fresh strawberries – add some granola on top for some crunch
- Veggies and Hummus – Dip a variety of raw vegetables into your favorite hummus
- Stuffed Sweet Potato – take a cooked sweet potato, scoop out the inside, mix with cooked ground beef (or turkey or sausage) sautéed spinach and dried cranberries
I hope these ideas help you plan for some better pre and post workout options for yourself!
2017 06 26