Benefits of Being Outdoors
Spring and summer in upstate New York is one of the nicest times of year to get outside to hike and exercise. There are many proven benefits to exercising outdoors, here are just a few!
- It’s free! Heading outdoors for a workout is the best money saving tip there is! Pick a spot and get moving!
- Exposure to Sunlight and Vitamin D – Vitamin D, especially from the sun is a great mood booster and helps keep our bones and immune system stronger. Exercise in the sun for increased benefits!
- Fresh Air – You know the woods smell better then a stinky gym!
- New Ways to exercise – Outdoor workouts allow us to be more creative with our workouts, using equipment and exercises we normally wouldn’t inside.
Here are some great places to exercise and enjoy the outdoors this Spring and Summer right here in Rochester:
- Durand Eastman Park: Eastman Lake Loop – Irondequoit
1.6 miles – easy trail, great for the whole family
- Erie Canal Heritage Trail: Pittsford to Fairport
6 miles – moderate – also great for biking and rollerblading
- Mendon Ponds Park – Birdsong and Quaker Pond Trails
4.8 miles – moderate
- Seneca Park – Genesee River Gorge/Olmstead Trail
4.6 miles – moderate – great views!
- Abraham Lincoln Park – Webster, NY – Lots of different trails great for walking the dogs!
Mother Nature provides a great setting for many different types of exercises and workouts. Here is a sample workout you can use in the woods that requires only what nature has to offer –
Keep moving for at least 20 minutes – Run/jog for 2 minutes at a time – after each running set stop and try one of these exercises for at least 20 repetitions
- Squats – you can just use your body weight or can pick up a heavy rock or stick for some added resistance, hold the weight in front of over your head for an added challenge
- Push Ups
- Sit Ups
- Box jumps – find a bench or stump to jump onto
- Pull ups – Find a nice sturdy branch to do pull ups on
- Hill Sprints – Sprint up and down a nice challenging hill
- Tricep Dips – find a bench or stump to do dips
- Walking lunges
- Mountain Climbers
Use this as a guide to a great outdoor workout and set a goal to get outside at least 30 minutes per day! Soak it up now before it snows again!
2017 05 09